Saturday, March 28, 2020

This and That and COVID-19 Life

I hope everyone is doing what they are supposed to do and following CDC guidelines and state stay at home orders.  I did break the rules a bit this week.  I had a dentist appointment for a cleaning that I didn't want to reschedule and my dentist was open, so on Wednesday I went and got that done.  While I was there I paid for half of a large bill that has been lingering from 2019. 

The LoML had major medical issues we were dealing with from September of 2018 through the end of 2019 and some of it had to deal with his teeth.  He had a bunch of teeth removed and then had a partial denture appliance made.  All of this involved quite a few appointments and for some reason, even though the dentist submitted everything to insurance, the insurance company has no record of it.  No denial, just no evidence that it was submitted.  So, with this being tough times for everyone, and they were open for my appointment, I decided to pay half of the bill ($1,500) and told them to provide me with all the info and dates etc. of all the services for him last year so I could call insurance and figure this out.  They are going to do the research and get back to me.  Regardless of the outcome, they shouldn't go without.  And if at some point the insurance company pays them it will be a credit on my account so it isn't lost money.

We had another leftover medical bill for $3,500 that was sent in December to the insurance company for surgery that occurred in June.  The insurance company denied that as being submitted too late, so the surgeon billed us in February.  I called the insurance company because pursuant to the in-network contract the surgeon isn't allowed to bill me for their failing to submit to insurance in time.  The insurance company tried calling the billing office while I was on the phone with them, and continued leaving voice mails for two more weeks with nobody calling them back.  Then in March I received a dunning notice for that bill, so I called the insurance company again who tried again to call them to no avail.  They are submitting a complaint to the surgeon's office for violating their contract.

In the meantime I went to get my annual mammogram (prior to stay at home order) which is across the street from the hospital and the surgeon's office, so on my way back to work I popped over there and inquired about why they are billing me.  The office staff told me to ignore the bill and if I get another bill to call them about it.  Really?  I feel like this is a scam and they screwed up and just decided to see if I would pay.  Well, the joke is on them because the insurance company will file the complaint and they will be on notice.  And if I get another bill I'll call the insurance company again and file ANOTHER complaint.

We loved the surgeon and the LoML still has follow-up appointments with him, but I will not be played.

So after my dentist appointment on Wednesday I did go to my office to print something.  I was surprised how many people were on the roads.  I live in a college town and the students were all sent home two weeks ago but there still was a good amount of car activity.  I was only out to do my dentist appointment and then hit my office to print something, which was empty, and then home.  Otherwise, for the past two weeks its been work at home and after work we sit in our backyard and have cocktail hour throwing the frisbee for the dogs, or we go for walks in the neighborhood.  Personally I'm loving this simpler life.  My work days are longer since there is no commute and I hop right on the computer with my morning coffee, and I get a lot more work done with only the dogs or cats interrupting me for pets and snuggles.

Well I hope everyone is just staying calm and staying connected with their loved ones and friends.  It is more important now then ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fall Is Too Early!!!

 I love the change of the seasons.  Don't get me wrong - Fall is probably one of my favorite seasons.  But where I live we don't usu...